In this page: An introduction to Madeley
Welcome to Madeley - Shropshire - UK
Madeley is situated in the beautiful county of Shropshire. It forms part of the Ironbridge Gorge World Heritage Site.
It has its origins in the 8th century when it was purchased by Wenlock Priory. It achieved town status in 1269, but remained part of the Borough of Wenlock until 1966. In the 1960's it was absorbed into Telford New Town .
After the dissolution Madeley Court was built on the site of Wenlock Priory's Grange by Sir Robert Brooke. His grandson, Sir Basil, was instrumental in developing the iron industry in Coalbrookdale in the 17th century. In the early 18th century Abraham Darby leased the property. The whole complex with its magnificent Elizabethan gatehouse has listed status. Madeley Court was converted to an hotel in the 1980s.
The Reverend John Fletcher, a supporter of Methodism, was rector of St Michael's Church from 1760 until 1785. The church was rebuilt in 1796 to designs by Thomas Telford. The Old Vicarage, adjacent to the church, is one of the finest early 18th century houses in east Shropshire.
Coal mining had taken place in Madeley since the 13th century. It expanded greatly from the 17th to early 20th century. In common with other settlements on the coalfield, industrial decline then set in. Kemberton, the last Madeley pit, closed in 1967. The end of the 1960s saw the construction of large new public housing estates at nearby Sutton Hill and Woodside. It also saw the complete rebuilding of Madeley Town Centre.
The Centre is again undergoing major redevelopment. There is a new supermarket and shops. Madeley's historic High Street, the eastern gateway to the World Heritage Site, is also being reinstated.